Monday, December 20, 2004

All Dressed up and (eventually) Somewhere to Go

Yes David, this weekend did go better, thank you. Though I am still weary and longing for a break. I got to spend some down time Saturday watching 13 Going on 30 (with laundry going, of course--have to multitask). I enjoyed being a smiling vegetable for a couple of hours. And that night I went with Kurt to hang out with our friends Brett and Jenny, and we all had a great time. We watched the Bourne Supremacy and ate fudgy brownies (the best kind!) I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

One very lame thing happened last week, though, that I have been meaning to blog about. Tuesday at work I stayed late with my boss and pinned up the storyboards for this big project we have going. It was fun, and I didn't mind working late at all. She told me that night that she would need my help during the meeting the next day, moving the boards around. Well, this meeting is with the big cheeses, so I had to dress up. I came to work all spiffy the next day, feelin' good. Ready to play Vanna White for the important folks. Then, right before the meeting, my boss tells me that she doesn't need my help afterall. I went back to my desk and just sat there for two hours. All dressed up and nowehere to go. I felt SO lame. Like everyone was looking at me thinking "haha Jenn thought she'd get to be in the big meeting!" I felt like a stood-up prom date.

Now, I'm sure this doesn't seem like a big deal, but for some reason it was to me. I'm not even "someone" enough to move bulletin boards around for the "someones". When the meeting let out, my boss came out and let me off early. It was nice, in a way. But I went home and slept for two hours, and woke up still feeling kind of down. Fortunately, right when I woke up, a friend called and invited me at the last minute to see a musical (Caroline, or Change) at the Ahmanson Theather downtown. She had season tickets with her Mom and her mom couldn't go. So, I put my nice outfit back on and went to a show. It was really nice, and I was so thankful that my nice-outfit day was redeemed.

Thanks, God.
:)


2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Carrie's coming home yea!

12/22/2004 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Beware: messy thought process below.

So I was thinking about our conversation yesterday, about the American Dream and Christianity and how they've become merged. And I was thinking that maybe we Americans haven't merged them. I think we know they're separate things. Here's my thought: if they were merged and meant the same thing to us, I think that would show a lot clearer in our interaction with the poor. Maybe. I think we would care after the poor and give them a greater chance if we thought the core of our beliefs was the American Dream, because the dream is to see people succeed and make it and I don't think I see that in our treatment of the poor. I think we want to treat them just enough so we don't feel bad ourselves. So I think we have a distinction between the American Dream and Christianity in our lives and I think we keep that distinction, but somehow believe that they work together toward a goal, or deny that they have different goals in mind.

Just some messy thoughts. Thought you'd be interested to hear. :)

12/23/2004 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home