Monday, October 18, 2004

25 and Finally Boggling Again

This week is my birthday week, and I am turning 25. It is the first birthday I can recall where I can truly say, "yes, I feel older." Why 25? My guess is that #1 I am a quarter of a century old, and #2 there are no more exciting milestones till that Senior Discount at Denny's. Yes, I have finally arrived--a fully privileged adult. I am now able to ride alongside a permit-only driver according to the CA driving code. Isn't life grand?

In other news, this weekend was good, which I needed. Work can be pretty monotonous, and its disheartening to spend my days doing completely un-art related things. Sometimes I need a good reminder that life is more than my "career".

The fun stuff: Last night I celebrated my 25th year with my family. I always enjoy our gatherings. It was especially fun playing Boggle with my mom and aunt after dinner, primarily because I gave them such a sore beating. But seriously, it was fun to play because we haven't done it in a long time. Only once since grandma died, and that was a somber game. The ladies of the family always used to play Scrabble after dinner. None of us were very good at it, and most of the time it would end with my mother declaring "it's a stupid game" (which is what she jokingly says about any game she finds difficult), but it was great just to be together. After grandma passed away, the routine seemed to hurt more than it was worth, and we just stopped. It's been two years now, and it is good to finally heal.

And to win. Bigtime.

On Friday night I spent time with my friends at our biweekly Bible study. We had some good bonding time, and have decided to pray for each other continually. This invloves a groups of two people meeting each day to pray for everyone until we meet again as a group. (We each sign up for four dates to cover.) Saturday was my first volunteer day, and I can't tell you how little I wanted to go. I was tired and cranky and frustrated and dang it the last thing I wanted was to go PRAY for an hour for other people. Yes, I was that selfish. But I made myself meet with my prayer partner anyway, cause a commitment is a commitment, and a commitment to pray seems like the worst kind to break. My friend was feeling the same way when I got to her house, and it ocurred to us that perhaps we were encountering spiritual opposition to our plan. That gave us firm resolve to follow through. I look forward to seeing what God does in our group. My mother-in-law told me that she is convinced that there is a great deal that God wants to do, but is waiting for us to ask. I believe that's true. I'll let you know how it goes...


3 Comments:

Blogger David Cho said...

No more milestones? When you turn 30, you can run for the US Senate. And I believe at 35, you can run for President.

Well, happy birthday, Jenn. And I appreciate your kind words on my blog.

10/19/2004 1:50 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Happy Birthday!!! Wish I could be there (because I would surely beat you at Boggle)! :)

Your group commitment to pray is very interesting--never heard of that one before. Sounds like a really neat idea! I trust it will go well.

10/19/2004 7:41 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Is this thing on?

10/22/2004 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home