Wednesday, September 07, 2005

What was I doing again?

I just survived what might be the worst case of unidentified washerlint in the history of mankind. You know what I'm talking about--normally you're a responsible washerperson and check the contents of jeans, shirts and jacket pockets thoroughly for money or valuables before tossing them in. But on that one day when you're in a big hurry, or don't notice that the clothing has pockets, or figure you'll just tempt fate for the heck of it and throw things in blindly and close the lid, on that day when the cycle is complete and, satisfied that a chore is nearly done, you eagerly pull out your "clean" clothing only to find it freckled with some remaining shards of what was once a dollar bill, a tissue, or a coupon you meant to use at the store last week. This tenacious lint worms its way into every wrinkle and cranny and don't even imagine that the dryer will fluff it all away. Oh, no. The dryer won't be merciful to your foolishness. This mess is yours and yours alone. I pray it never happens to you in a load of flannel. Well I must've let the coupon, dollar, AND the tissue slide this time...or maybe there was a cardboard box in my shirt pocket. Each sock and shirt I removed had to be shaken out and picked clean meticulously, leaving a monumental mess on the floor. I actually had to vacuum out the inside of the washer when it was all said and done. Thank the good people at Hoover for those brilliant attachments...

In other news, I'm pregnant. (yea!). Nearly into the second trimester now, and while I have been free of the more common and unfortunate symptoms of carrying a new life, I have become a moron. I didn't see that listed anywhere in the "You might be pregnant if..." lists in the literature, but it has happened to me.
For example,
*I used to be able to drive a car. Now, without fail when parking, I hit the cement bumper thingies. Hard enough to jolt the car a bit.
*I can't remember normal things I used to be able to keep track of. While reading Jenny Smith's blog moments ago, I got so sidetracked that I managed to leave the groceries just sitting out until my once desirable Yoplait dropped to room temperature. I'm tempted to eat it still--is there a 30 minute rule with yogurt or anything?
*My mother called to invite me to tea tomorrow morning, and I could feel my brain trying to forget we had plans even before she hung up the phone. I had to write myself a post-it note and figure out a strategic place to put it so that I would actually show up tomorrow.

*sigh* I get my brain back after labor, right?

A few other catch-up tidbits:

Last weekend I went to Boston for my best friend Jessica's wedding. It is a beautiful city, and it was fun seeing the patriotic sights along the Freedom Trail, but I would definitely NEVER want to live there. I know that generalities are unPC, but on the whole I found the people there to be unfriendly and rather cold. Even the people in service jobs refused to crack a smile. And I'm not the only one who noticed. If it weren't so disheartening, it would have been funny.

I have also quit working for Toonacious and will be pursuing my writing and illustrating. More as that develops...

Kurt is teaching for his third year at Village, and likes it very much. He has added a period of Earth Science this year, which hopefully will be fun for him since it is more along the lines of his geology degree.

I have the Alaska pics but no scanner so that will be delayed a little longer, but I'll try to keep up with the daily thoughts. I have time to blog now so bug me if I take too long. You have my permission.
;)

10 Comments:

Blogger Elle said...

Congratulations Jen and Kurt! How exciting!

And sadly, it may take a while for your brain to return to it's prior state. Or maybe that's just me :)

9/07/2005 11:05 PM  
Blogger kika said...

What? You're pregant?! Congratulations! Wow! that is some not-so "other news"! that is great BIG News! wow...wow...wow...hee hee... can't stop smiling! :D

9/09/2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ahhhhh! Congratulations Jenn! What exciting news! :)

9/09/2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks--we're really excited too. Jess--sorry you didn't know, I was sure Kurt had told Shane by now!

9/12/2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Well, Congratulations! How exciting.

9/13/2005 12:33 AM  
Blogger shane said...

Congratulations! That's terrific news. No roller coaster rides for you for a while.

9/15/2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

:) you are so silly and witty. this was a very fun entry to read because I can hear you laughing at yourself. i really like you, jenn klein.

9/15/2005 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
I just ran across your blog now...
Congratulations!!! When are you due? I am pregnant with #2 and am due in late March.
About getting your brain back? I dunno, once the baby comes you at least can use him/her as a great excuse for not being able to concentrate on anything else! I read an article that said motherhood made you smarter, but I'm not sure I believe it (though I want to!). I also read an article that said eating chocolate during pregnancy makes for a happier baby. THAT one I believe, no questions asked!

9/17/2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

THAT explains why all I want lately is chocolate (but maybe doesn't explain the need for canned peaches..)I guess God wants us to have a smart baby. ha. j/k
;)
Congrats to you too! Our baby is due in late March as well, the 26th. I can't wait. Even if I don't ever get my brain back...

9/20/2005 12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH! We have the same due date!
Super cool!

9/26/2005 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home