Monday, June 19, 2006

Almost a Country Song

So this weekend I lost two good friends to the call of getting-out-of-LA. We all say it from time to time, but I think we all secretly love AND hate this place. I had hoped that love would win in the hearts of these friends of mine, but I guess "baby sometimes love just ain't enough."

Or maybe they just hated it here.

In any case, it is an empty hurt to say goodbye. Not news to anyone reading this I'm sure, but it really is like a void opening up in your heart and you're just not sure what will ever fill it. And you kind of despair that it will ever be filled. Cause if I have a hole in my heart shaped like Erika, and there is only one Erika now far away, what can I do? At least Julie is only in San Diego so our parting was not nearly so difficult. I know I will see her again, even frequently. But Erika is in Washington with family. There is very little reason for her ever to come back to LA.

But then in the midst of the hurt I felt the Lord's compassion, and He, like no other, can fill any void. And so even though when I think of that empty apartment downstairs I get sick in my stomach, there is no despair anymore. He has held me up and been more to me than a thousand dear friends. He bound up that wound so that it is only a sting, and only a temporary one at that! He has made that wonderful Day of His return so real to me. It will be no time at all before we all are gathered together and taken Home, and there will be so much joy and wonder and warmth! Its so near, only just around the corner! What a stirring thought and realization--we WILL be reunited, and in a place of real glory, goodness, perfection, beauty, joy, and LIFE. No pain here can compare with it! And no loss seems very great in light of what is coming. And then, as the whipped cream on top (or rich chocolate ganache if you prefer), I feel now how His children are all united by His Spirit and so are never really apart.

God is GOOD. What good things He has given us! What a hope we have in Jesus! So I guess Don Henley was wrong, cause Christ's love IS enough.

Now wasn't that a clever ending? I didn't really mean for that to happen, sorry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

:) Your optimism in the face of sadness is inspiring.

6/22/2006 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home