Thursday, July 20, 2006

Today I was holding Will in my lap talking to him and smiling at him. I love this little boy! But he seemed less interested in me than in the bookcase to his left. I kept talking and bouncing him and trying to get his attention back, and occasionally he would look at me and smile real big. But no sooner had he looked and smiled than he turned away to his bookcase again, which did not make him smile. That made me kinda sad.

I'll bet Jesus feels that way with us sometimes. My attention span for really being still in His presence is pitifully short, even though I am so profoundly satisfied, filled, when I'm near to Him. I read in James 4 "Come near to God, and He will come near to you." Is it really that simple? Sometimes it seems impossible to be still in Him, but I don't doubt that James knew what he was talking about. So maybe I am sitting in Jesus' lap right now, and he is waiting for me to return His smile. Or maybe I am further and need to go looking for that lap I abandoned in pursuit of my bookcase. Either way, I'm excited to know that He'll come when I take the step toward Him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Wow, that was profound. Simple, yet deep. I love the analogy.

5/03/2009 12:46 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Wow! that was profound. Simple and yet so deep! I loved the analogy.

5/03/2009 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home