Thursday, September 29, 2005

Jesus was all over her

This morning I woke up with a happy memory on my mind. When I was little I went to a private Christian elementary school, and once every week we went to the chapel where we'd sing and people would come (even AC Green came once) and talked to us about I don't remember what. Well, mostly I don't remember. There was one wonderful old woman who stands out in my memory and has left a lasting impression on me.

I wish I could remember her name, but all I can recall is that she was tall, had thin white hair, and wore a shiny green Chinese dress (though she herself wasn't Chinese). She had to have been in her 90's and couldn't walk well anymore, but in her day she had been a missionary to China, and she told wonderful stories about her work for the gospel on the other side of the world. The details are fuzzy, but one story always stayed with me. She said that in those days Bibles were huge and very expensive, and they couldn't give them away like they do now. So there was a little girl who came every week and walked many miles, rain or shine, to visit her and read her Bible. That always struck me. I didn't know what to do with my Bible, (and if it hadn't had some really pretty illustrations I might never have opened it) but this little girl valued reading one so much that she would walk a long way to read it for just a little while.

Even now I'm encouraged to remember that woman. If it's possible to sense God's presence with a person, I knew even then that she knew Jesus, and as it seemed to me, He was all over her. Though I don't remember many of her stories anymore, I remember the impression she left with me. She taught me that God is in China too, and that's a pretty big scope to impart to a little girl in pigtails. I'm very thankful for her stories, and I look forward to seeing her in heaven one day and telling her how she encouraged me. I wonder if she knew that coming to speak to some little kids every so often was a missionary work too...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a bit of big picture affectation to me... :)

9/29/2005 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home