Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Cost of Printing

Kurt got prints back for his gallery yesterday, and they look pretty good. Sometimes its hard to know how a little slide will look blown up and printed, but we're mostly happy with the results. Another bonus is that they were cheaper than estimated, so if he can sell just a couple then we should recover a lot of the costs to print and mount/frame them. I really hope that this goes well!

One thing that is not going as well as hoped is that it looks like getting my book printed will be very cost prohibitive. I have been so excited and looking forward to having some copies made, but now I see why people try to get their stuff published. I need someone big backing my work or apart from becoming independently wealthy not many people will get to see it.
:(
I heard a little lead yesterday, though, that there is a Christian publisher that is looking to start a children's branch. There's a chance that they'll be eager for books, so maybe I can get my foot in the door. Isn't this nuts? What am I saying? Could I really get published? I guess I'll never know till I try. But I have such a thin skin, and I've heard its remarkably difficult to get published. You have to go through a lot of rejection first. Maybe this experience will be good for me.

"Calvin, go do something miserable you hate. It builds character."

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I'm so jealous that Kurt will be exhibited at a show. He does great work--the other day I was going through some of the pictures you both gave me for Christmas. Beautiful. Striking. Impressive.

I will pray for you about the children's book. I think it is incredible for you to strive after this and I know that you will do a good job. I don't think I've seen you do anything less than a good job in anything you've done. I am proud to call you my friend and humbled at your creativity.

11/11/2004 11:52 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, thank you Jenny. I really appreciate your encouragement. Today I was thinking about the whole printing thing a bit more, and I have this feeling that I should just move forward as if I already have what I need, and when the time comes to print, He'll provide. Kind of like this one time on our Alaska trip when we needed to get on the river but it was so foggy we could barely see 50ft ahead--I just felt that we should move out, trusting Him to make a way for us, and sure enough, when we were about to get in the raft and shove off, the fog began to clear. It was unbelievable--it taught me a good lesson about faith expressed through action. Maybe this is another one of those moments, where my decision reveals what I truly believe...

11/11/2004 1:36 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

...and of course, maybe not. Maybe its not in His plans to do anything with this book. I don't know. But I think I'll keep moving forward and let Him open or close doors as He will. To God be the glory.

11/11/2004 3:04 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

I am excited for you. So I take that the book has a strong Christian theme in it?

11/12/2004 2:34 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yeah. It's a parable about coming to faith. You can read it just as a fun little story, but to Christians the message will be pretty obvious. And for those to whom it is not obvious, I will have the salvation message at the end expressed in terms of the parable.

11/15/2004 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home