Monday, November 08, 2004

What's that Bit About "Actions"?

I just got back from lunch at Subway, and spent most of the hour reading I Corinthians. It was great--despite all the noise and busyness around, I really had a great study time. Until the end, that is. As I was contemplating getting up to go, an old man who seemed to be homeless walked by the window where I was sitting, and made a kind of thumbs up gesture to me. Mistaking it for a kind of greeting, I smiled and waved to him. Then he walked into the subway, but walked past me to the counter. I thought maybe he was looking for handouts, but wasn't sure. Though the thought made me uncomfortable, I decided to give him the other half of my sandwich if he asked for something. He turned away from the counter and started coming back my way. I was nearly overcome with awkwardness and a kind of nervous anxiety. I couldn't bring myself to even look at him until he got closer, but then he walked passed me. As he was exiting, he looked back and gave me the thumbs up again. Then he stood outside the window expectantly and kept making strange gestures at me. I was so unnerved I looked around to the other tables as if for help. "What does he want?" I asked. But no one knew...one guy jokingly suggested that the thumbs up meant he thought I was cute. Then, right before he gave up and walked on, he made a kind of hand to mouth eating gesture, and I remembered--the other half of my sandwich. How could I have forgotten so quickly? But still overcome with emotion, I did nothing.

After the nervousness died down, I was disappointed. Why couldn't I just see people as Jesus does--consider their needs above my own discomfort? Why should some silly emotion stop me from doing the good I ought and even intend? I want to be able to lay down how I feel and just let God do what He wishes through me--to be Jesus' hands. But that will never be the case unless I "die to myself daily". Lord, help me to let go of what I want in favor of what You want...



1 Comments:

Blogger David Cho said...

Thanks for the story. I always have to remind myself that everyone, rich, poor, black, white, bad, good, is made in the image of God.

11/10/2004 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home